Mohawk HV arc?

John F. Regan piewagon at FUNPROJECTS.COM
Mon Nov 1 12:13:21 EST 1999

I am restoring a Mohawk.  It seems to work OK basically but every ten
minutes or so I hear a snap that sounds like High Voltage arc somewhere but
I cannot locate where it is coming from.  I have turned out the room lights
and sat in the dark hoping to see where it is coming from but no external
signs so I assume there is a part that is arcing internally.  I have
replaced the 5V4 but no help.  It does have the original filters in it
which were formed up with slow application of voltage via variac but before
I just start replacing things I wondered if anyone has had this experience
and might help me get closer to the problem.

On a secondary note, this unit has aluminum knobs (not chromed) and I
assume that it is an earlier unit.  I wondered if anyone knew any later
circuit changes that this unit does not have.  This unit appears very well
built and has no modifications to it at all that I can see but the manual I
have is from a different Mohawk and has penciled in changes to the circuit
that this unit does not have incorporated into it.

Thanks.

John Regan  K9SWN

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov