Mohawk versions

John F. Regan piewagon at FUNPROJECTS.COM
Thu Nov 11 02:29:45 EST 1999

I have noticed slight differences in the schematics of Mohawks.  Since
there is no record of changes, couldn't we put together our own list?  Here
is how.  Mohawks had serial numbers on the RF tuner section.  It consists
of a number inked onto the front vertical apron of the tuner.
Unfortunately it can only be seen when the chassis is out of the cabinet.
Next time you have yours open, record the number.  I understand the first
724 units (serial#1 thru #724) had the convertor section aligned for 23-27
MHz and had to be realigned to 22-26 Mhz.  Mohawk tuners numbered 725 and
up are already set to 22-26 Mhz.

I would volunteer to attempt to assemble a list of changes (if any) and
keep it up to date and report back here of my findings.  Send me your
serial number and if you have the original manual that come from it then
also send along (anyway you can) a photocopy of the schematic and any dates
you find on the manual (rear cover lower left).  Photocopy can be in
pieces.  I know the schematic fairly well.  I will look it over for changes
and compare it with others.  You might also tell me whether your unit has
brushed knobs or polished and maybe we can glue down some of the changes.
Might be fun to know the history.  I will keep a registry and ask further
questions if I find something that needs further refinement.  Please make
sure that what you send is accurate.  Mixing of schematics not original to
the unit could throw us off.

The unit I have on my bench is serial #128.  It has brushed aluminum knobs
and no modifications to it at all.  Everything original and a nice wiring
job.  The manual I have is not original to this unit and one resistor has a
different value than the schematic calls for. (Resistor marked 240K
installed where 220K was indicated).  I have seen different methods of
cathode bypass in audio output circuit too.

73's

John K9SWN

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov