Dial belts again

Stewart Lyon stu_w6cux at JUNO.COM
Tue Nov 16 02:41:31 EST 1999

Hi again Paul,
Yes, the SB-101 had rubber belts. I built mine in 1968 (and still have
it) and it used belts. I used to get phonograph drive belts from my local
radio store as replacements -- but they don't carry them anymore. I tried
the PepBoys O-rings everybody is talking about but I think they are too
"spongy". I located a special o-ring that is made as a belt from an
aerospace supplier my co. uses and was able to get a few "samples" toward
the several thousand I was going to buy if they worked out. They did work
well but it's too much of a hassle to buy them.

Now ... if one could locate a drive pully that had a set screw instead of
being soldered on the shaft, the dial strings would be a perfect
solution. Of course you also need the springs which is a whole new set of
problems!!

73, Stu W6CUX

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999 21:10:25 -0500 "Paul K. Dean"
<wb9hgz at CHARLOTTESVILLE.NET> writes:
{clip}
>So, on to the SB-102 manual and another beautiful diagram on
>installing rubber belts.  Now, trivia..... my SB-101 manual is a
partial, no
>assembly.
> The 101 has rubber belts.  Should it?  I'm guessing so.
>Great discussion, folks!
>73, Paul, wb9hgz

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov