hw16's, et al....true tranceive?

Bill Strickland strick at ARCHES.UGA.EDU
Sat Nov 27 22:22:36 EST 1999

Hello again Heathens:    ;-)

I was not successful in finding the article on converting the HW-16
to a 6146 final.  I did, however, find the reference to the mod that
gives VFO capability.

The article was "HW16 Modifications for VFO Operation" in the
March, 1973 issue of ham radio magazine, pages 54-56.  I have a
Xerox copy from about 1974 and it wasn't that great to start with
(given the copiers of the day and some 25 years of time).  If
anyone wants a copy, I'll send one for an SASE.  Other mods in the
same article offer incremental tuning, supply voltage regulation
for the oscillator tubes that is supposed to prevent possible
chirping and a side-tone key click filter.  All this is claimed for
a (1973) outlay of $15.00, including the vfo mod !!!

I'll continue to look for the 6146 conversion article, but it's not
in the place it SHOULD have been (imagine that...after only 25 years!),
so I wouldn't hold out too much hope for that one.

Once again, I never tried any of these mods. Proceed at your own risk!

Regards,
Bill Strickland
355 Segrest Circle
Athens, GA 30605

*** Bill Strickland K4DX *** The University of Georgia *** Athens, GA ***
***(Not writing on behalf of the University of Georgia or anyone else)***

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov