Electrolytics "blow up"

mike bryce prosolar at SSSNET.COM
Sat Nov 27 23:28:17 EST 1999

Bill....

Check the 330 ohm 5 watt resistor in the power supply. This resistor in one
of the voltage dividers can go kaput. The result in over 650 volts on the 40
mf cap instead of the 310 or so volts that is supposed to be there.

mine unit did the same thing, replaced the cap, (thought it was bad) and the
new one when up in smoke.

by the way, I used a high voltage radial cap. I mounted in place of the 40
mf unit. Take the old one out of the socket,but leave the paper socket in
place. A glob of RTV will hold the new cap in place. Looks kinda strange, as
the new one is only a inch high, the old one is a bit higher than 5 inches.

Mike Bryce, WB8VGE
SunLight Energy Systems
"Electricity at the speed of light"

----------
>From: Bill and Edna <Eshukis at HOME.COM>
>To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
>Subject: Re: Electrolytics "blow up"
>Date: Sun, Nov 28, 1999, 1:55 AM

>Hmmm.. Brings back a recent memory.  I replaced two High Voltage Caps in
>the HW-16.  They
>were about 3/4 inch diameter..rated at 40uFd and 350V.  They Blew up in
>about 30 seconds.
>How can I tell a High Resistance from a Low Resistance Electrolytic?
>
>I'm still determined to get that Rig on the air!!
>
>Bill
>K3OBB

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov