Shipping Heathkits

spl.md spl.md at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Oct 7 04:02:16 EDT 1999

I am in North Alabama, in the so-called Rocket City, and have the same
problem. I buy a lot of computer/electronic parts, and books, and - with
so many mailorder houses having gone to split-order drop-shipping - I
get a huge volume of UPS packages. I would say about half are received
cosmetically damaged, with some being destroyed enough to file a claim.
It's ridiculous, and it's clear that UPS isn't interested in improving.
My driver, who is not one of the culprits, tells me stories about UPS
internals. It's so difficult to specify USPS with most mail-order
houses, and that is the only cost-comparable alternative for an
individual. I believe they do have a [little-known] tracking system for
priority mail, by the way.
--Dave

> I am out here in Long Island and find UPS a totally un acceptable deal.
> Late packages, drivers going home early saying they attempted to
> delivery, part time street people working the docks and sorts are hired
> and fired and rehired every 28 days to keep them out of the union.
> When trying to track a package the on line tracking system is always un
> available, and no one picks up the phones.
>
> However on USP a package from Vancouver can arrive overnight on standard
> priority mail the only drawback is no tracking system , if lost a 90 day
> wait just to apply for recovery.
> Fed Ex on 30+ pounds can exceed 25% of the radio value.
> Any suggestions?

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov