SB-104A Display Problem

Kechkaylo, David DKechkaylo at ADAPTIVEBROADBAND.COM
Thu Oct 7 08:56:29 EDT 1999

Raymond:

About the SB-104A display: Check the gas discharge high voltage first. It
should read at least 160 volts on pin A on the display circuit board
#85-1416-1.

Also, remove the display board (carfully, please), and carefully pull the
rightmost display (V151) in and out of the wire sockets in which this
display is held and connected on the board. I've seen dirty wire contacts do
this to the display. Check, in this way, the segmant driver, IC151, too. You
can sustitute vacuum displays into the rightmost place with one of the other
displays to check (merely swap them). Here, though, remember that the
decimal connection is used in V151 and not the others.

If you can show that V151 is indeed at fault, I have a replacement.

Once working, the SB-104(A) is a nice radio. And even tho there are many
hams out there who own Icoms, Kenwoods, etc., many of them still like the
looks of the '104. That has never really changed over the years.

Finally, the 25th anniversary of the SB-104 introduction will be this
December, a week and a half before Christmas. How about that.

Regards,

Dave Kechkaylo

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov