SB104 Questions

Steve, N0CZV n0czv at WILLARD-OH.COM
Thu Oct 28 18:40:12 EDT 1999

Hello List,

I have a couple of questions about the SB104 /A line.  I currently have
an SB104 and an SB104A....  I am wondering about the paint finish....
The SB104 has a "crinkle" finish, while the SB104A has more of a
"speckle" finish.  I couldn't find any reference to this in the various
publications....  Wondering if the finish changed when the SB104A model
came out, or somewhere in between....

Second question involves the use of IC sockets on the various boards...
was it the intention to make assembly easier?  Probably answering my own
question, but the sockets over the years seem to cause some of the
unreliability problems...  The purist approach would be to replace the
sockets, but I was thinking more of eliminating them..... Anyone have
experience with this?

Just an observation, some of the uniqueness of the SB104 line is the
lack of internal adjustments - probably to make alignment and assembly
easier, however it results in changes of such things as audio levels,
etc to cause a parts change.  The seems to be what several of the
modifications were intended to resolve.....  Neat radios!  Wanted to
build one when they were in production, all I ended up with was a manual
set and SB604.  The SB104A went out of production - my check was
returned - none left, ended up building an HW101 instead....   Finally
ended up with a couple of SB104 /A's recently....

Steve, N0CZV

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov