HW-101 on 11 meters

Bob Carner rscarner at VT.EDU
Wed Sep 1 14:49:01 EDT 1999

N5NJ;
        I used to be WN4VDF about a thousand years ago and am currently working on getting my license back (a little more advanced now) with the VPI AR Club. I had to give it up when I enlisted in the US Nuc Sub Force, found it a 'little difficult' to xmit from underwater (and besides, the Navy would place me in front of a firing squad if I did!)
        My intentions are honorable as I have friends who live on mountain tops in TN, VA, WVA and NC and they are only cb-types. I just can't see putting my money into a ssb cb when I have something else that could do the job and my main interest in purchasing the HW-101 was to practice my code in prep for my license!
        Right now, I'm building a 4000 sq' 2 story log home in Pilot, VA (and I do mean 'I am building', anyone want to help?) so my time is EXTREMELY limited, not enough hours in the day but I'm sure you know what I mean. About all I have time for is a few minutes to turn the HW-101 on, listen to code and remember the 'good old days' when I happily sent 'CQ CQ DE WN4VDF'. I got so proficent at CQ, my first contact came back at about 30 wpm, and I had to s-l-o-w-l-y come back at about 6wpm 's-l-o-w--d-o-w-n---I-m--j-u-s-t--a--n-o-i-c-e'
        Nice to meet you, hope to code/talk with you someday!

        Best regards
        Bob ex-WN4VDF

rscarner at vt.edu

Sponsored by the City of Tempe