On-Line Auction Fever

Harvey A. Kader optom at ATTGLOBAL.NET
Fri Apr 21 14:01:50 EDT 2000

Hello All.

Despite what has been said(and will continue to be said about on-line
auctions : I think that we will NEVER hear the end of this!), GREAT
treasures and GREAT bargains can be found at on-line auctions.

All one has to do is research past final bids using the "search" mode,
and one can then find what previous final bids were for the subject
item. Over time an average will develop if one keeps track of the
prices. That is the MARKET VALUE. So, no reason not to find bargains.

It is true, some of the items may be over bid, but that is the nature of
ALL auctions, whether on-line or not. I would suggest that the bidder
set an upper limit in his mind(that is what I do) to avoid over bidding.
If the bids exceed your upper limit, simply pass.

On the other hand, if I really want a RARE treasure, I have on occassion
bid more than my pre-set upper limit. This way I secured the rare item
that may not come up for bidding in another three to five years(who has
the time to keep on looking just to save a few dollars - time is money :
sometimes it pays to just get the item to avoid having to keep on
looking for many years more - how much is your time worth!). Especially
items which are in MINT condition - they are difficult to find.

In my opinion, on-line auctions are entertaining(the rush of outbidding
someone at the last few seconds of an auction{a process called sniping}
and snagging a super buy is just like gambling - be careful both can be
ADDICTIVE!!), a great place to meet people with similar interests, a
GREAT place to find TREASURES, and a great place to find BARGAINS. In as
much as we may poke fun at some of the outlandish bids, on-line auctions
are here to stay, and are expected to double and triple in volume over
the next few years.

On-line auctions allow one to sit in their bedroom or family room, and
shop the world. No more travelling, no more hotel rooms, and no more
dissapointment. Hamfests move over : on-line auctions are coming your
way!

Everybody have a Happy Easter!

Regards.

Harvey A. Kader