HW-101 power update

Ed Lambert" "K1ZOK ma.locksmith at JUNO.COM
Fri Dec 15 18:13:26 EST 2000

The HW-101 uses a series/parallel string for the filaments.  This is so
that the filaments can be run from 12 volts, even though they are six
volt filament tubes.  However, the current that is drawn by each is
specifically balanced so that there is an equal amount drawn from the 12
volt source as well as the second half which is run in series.

If there is an unbalance in the tube string....  possibly by the
substitution of another type in place of an original, it might unbalance
the load significantly.

I would first suggest measuring the filament voltage with a meter.
Measure each side of the filament on each tube with respect to ground and
see what you get.  I would expect a significant difference to get the
symptoms you describe.  This is possibly why changing the tubes had no
effect on the problem.

You might also have a shorted filament bypass capacitor.  If you look at
the other tubes, you might also find some that are different in filament
brightness.

If you look at the connectivity shown on the schematic, you will see some
tube filaments are run directly from the supply voltage (12 V and
ground).  Others, like V3 and V4 are series connected to ground.  And
others are connected from the supply voltage to a mid point which happens
to be one of the 6146 filaments.  I can't tell from the schematic (it's
all I have) which of the 6146s is toward the front of the set, V8 or V9,
but V9 is the one that is connected from the mid point to ground.

Ed
K1ZOK

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov