HW-1-1 power update

john johnmb at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Dec 15 17:51:10 EST 2000

What happens if you swap tubes? If the brightness stays with the tube,
then I'd replace it. If the brightness stays with the position of the tube,
I'd carefully look at the wiring and / or neutralization.

Rgds
John

At 04:23 PM 12/15/00 -0500, Greg Hockenjos wrote:
>Hello. After checking all resistors and changing 5 badly out of tolerance
ones I checked the power supply voltage and it stays steady under load and
no load. One strange thing happens now, I might not of noticed it before,
The 6146 closest to the rear of the radio glows very bright, twice as
bright as any tube in the radio. The 6146 near the front of the radio
barely glows at all, you have to turn off the lights in the room and put
your face 2 inches from it to see a very faint, dim filament glow. I chaned
both tubes with others and the same result. Now when you tune the radio
from cold it starts at about 60 watts on 10 meters, before it was 40, well
getting there slowly. That final thing can't be right, the one tube is
almost white, thats how bright it gets. 73 Greg.

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov