IP-2715

Mark Hughes markhughes at DIALPOINT.NET
Wed Dec 27 22:24:50 EST 2000

At 12:35 AM 12/27/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Gentlefolk:
>
>I have an IP-2715 'Battery Eliminator' which looks very nice, although
>it doesn't have the top handles.
>
>It has been modified, though, in that someone added a hefty SCR and
>a nice looking 1.5" x 2" control board for it to the output of the
>diode bridge, along with its own 25 amp circuit breaker.
>
>This mod is (of course) undocumented, so if anyone knows anything
>about this or similar mods for this power supply, I'd appreciate
>hearing from them before I rip this thing out and put the thing
>back to origional.

This sounds like a crowbar circuit. The gate of the diode conducts if the
output voltage of the power supply exceeds a predetermined voltage. When
the gate conducts, the SCR fires and opens the circuit breaker. The idea is
to protect the device connected to the power supply if a series-pass
voltage regulator transistor should short collector to emitter.
Mark Hughes  WB4UHI

Want to know more about Civil War cemeteries? Check out my two books:
Bivouac of the Dead and The Unpublished Roll of Honor. Email for details.

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov