"Unbuilt" Heathkit

Lee Blaske lblaske at PCLINK.COM
Fri Dec 29 09:54:15 EST 2000

James N5ARW wrote:

>Maybe the seller is right on track.  When you build a kit you have a
>built Heathkit.  It
>stands to reason that if you unbuild a kit you would have an Unbuilt Heathkit.
>Maybe the factory fresh kits should be called "not built" or "never
>built" Heathkits.

If you took your house apart and attempted to sell the pieces, would
you refer to it as an unbuilt house? The "un" in unbuilt means not. A
kit that was assembled and then subsequently taken apart is
definitely not an unbuilt kit. Just as you can't reflower a virgin,
after the kit was built the first time, it forever and all time
ceased to be a kit.

To avoid confusion, I think the proper and ethical way to describe
such an item would be to refer to it as a *Disassembled* Heathkit,
and then describe the new components included.

Thinking of Chuck Penson's comments on a potentially budding cottage
industry of selling disassembled Heathkits, I wonder if people would
be willing to pay even more extravagant prices for disassembled
Collins gear. ;-)

73,

Lee N0IZ

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov