Keeping Track of Small Parts

ekotkie ekotkie at EZL.COM
Sat Jan 15 12:37:57 EST 2000

Mike Hardie wrote:

> Fellow Do-It-Yourselfers:
> I saw a neat trick to prevent losing small parts such as screws washers etc
> when disassembling radios.  A  2" wide piece of masking tape about 6" long
> was stuck to the bench sticky side up by folding the ends over about 1/2",
> then as a radio is disasssembled the parts can be placed on (or stuck to)
> the tape in an order or pattern that helps with re-assembly.

EK> Good morning Mike, I tend to shy away from tape based upon the static electricity
charge that it generates and the fact that static and solid state components don't get
along well.  Saw a demo once by 3M when I was still in aerospace about the degading
effects that static can have even on components that are typically bi-polar and not in the
ESD (electro static device) category.  Granted, this doesn't apply to hardware such as
screws and nuts but if it was me, I'd forget and leave it on my bench by accident.  As a
neat test to show kids.  take them in a room along with a roll of tape, turn off the
lights and pull off a strip of tape.  The flash is quite impressive.

Ed

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov