IT-28 capacitor checker

Freeberg, Scott (STP) scott.freeberg at GUIDANT.COM
Mon Jan 24 12:29:22 EST 2000

Hi Mike,

I didn't see if there were any responses to your post.  I have an IT-11 cap
tester and I believe they work the same  in this area.

On my IT-11, I select the type of cap, set the voltage switch to the lowest
amplitude, then switch the selector to leakage.  I increase the amplitude
one step at a time, allowing enough time to allow the capacitor to charge
up, as evidenced by the green eye opening up about 40 some degrees.  Step up
the marked voltage on the capacitor.  If the eye fails to open at one of the
voltage levels, then it is giving you a rough indication of "excessive"
leakage currents.  Switching from leakage test to discharge will simply
discharge the cap rather than leave it charged up to 450 volts for you to
touch.

For more accurate leakage current measurement, I am planning to put an
ammeter in series with the tester output.

I received this from David Box during discussions about my IT-11:
Not sure about the IM-11, but I just finished repairing a Heath IT-28 Cap
Checker and can give you the setup parameters for that unit.  There are 3
types of capacitors that the IT-28 will let you select which controls the
amount of leakage current that is measured.  For the Electrolytic setting
the unit is adjusted so that 2 ma just causes the eye to close, in the
"min'lytic" setting 15 ua will close the eye and in the "paper, mica, other"
setting 2 ua will cause the eye to close."

Hope this helps.  The IT-11 is a nice tester and I've been told the IT-28 is
also nice tester.

73,  Scott WA9WFA in Saint Paul Minn (looking for National SW-3)
http://www.qsl.net/wa9wfa

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov