Heathkit HAM Shack[via LSMTP - see www.lsoft.com]

John V. Parker jparker at OZ.NET
Fri Jul 7 02:50:54 EDT 2000

I'm currently rebuilding my garage and turning it into a workshop/ham
shack.  Although, I spent 20+ years in the Navy as a Radioman, I'm new to
the world of Ham Radio.  I'm waiting for my study materials and plan on
taking my Tech license first and then the novice.

My garage was previously built on open earth with no foundation.  Since I'm
in the early phase of my garage rebuild, (I have one new wall, plan on
rebuilding two more, then work on installing a cement slab.  I currently
have power but it consists of a light fixture and an outlet.  My plan is to
have a sub-panel installed with several outlets per wall.  I anticipate
having the electricians do their work in about 3-4 weeks.

I would like to get into packet, satellite comms in the future.

I would like to know if there are any pitfalls I should avoid in the
planning and installation of equipment,
or anything I should make sure that I have, i.e. power 110 and 220, ground
straps, etc.?

Are there any publications that cover this type of information?  Does
anyone have any experience they would like to share?

I have a Heathkit SB-303, SB-401, SB-600, SB-630 on the way.  I have a
Hallicrafters S-20R in the wings to be restored and a bunch of Heathkit
Test equipment to work with.

Signed,

A real newcomer to Ham Radio and lover of Heathkit.

John

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov