Shipping[via LSMTP - see www.lsoft.com]

mike bryce prosolar at SSSNET.COM
Sun Jul 9 10:12:13 EDT 2000

well it's written on the walls in great big letters at the local customer
service counter in my neck of the woods.

they also have the right to open up and inspect packages they feel don't
look like they will make the trip or have excessive insurance added. (also
in great big letters!)

In fact, if the counter people don't know you, they really don't want you to
seal the package up until they (UPS) looks inside to verify the packing is
ok to ship the item. ( also in big letters on the wall)

just one more story?

I sell solar panels. Now everyone say it, "Glass and aluminum"

These things are packed to make the trip using the bulk method of UPS. As a
matter of fact, the boxes MUST pass UPS guide lines before UPS will place a
solar panel in its  service.

 A customer of mine ordered a 64 watt solarex panel. I had it dropped
shipped from the factory directly to his house in Montana. A month or so
went by and I get a call from my customer. He wanted to know where is panel
was.

The tracking number showed the panel had stopped someplace in Iowa. I called
UPS and they said, "Yes, yes, you're right the package is in Iowa." When I
pushed a little harder, I found out that the train fell of of its tracks and
the whole freight train had been trashed. All the cars had be derailed!

When asked if UPS was going to cover the panel, I was told no, it was not
their fault, but in fact I had not packed the package correctly. ( An
interesting side note. It does no good to yell and scream, holler and curse
the women on the other end of the phone. She's in atlanta, I am in north
lawrence. The panel is in Iowa. The more yelling you do, the less help you
receive. I've worked retail for years and understand what it is like to be
on the other side of the counter)

I asked to speak to a person higher up the chain of command. I got another
lady. Told her the trouble and she also said I would have to put in a claim
and more than likely it would be rejected because the package was not packed
correctly.

I then asked her to fax me the shipping guide lines including how to meet
the UPS standard of packing for train derailment.

There phone went quiet and then she said, "What's your address? I'll have
accounting cut you a check today!"

sorry to be off topic, but had to tell everyone that story.

--
Mike Bryce WB8VGE
SunLight Energy Systems

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov