heathkit

PHILLIPS FAMILY pphillips at NEUMEDIA.NET
Wed Jul 12 16:50:26 EDT 2000

          Gentlemen and the rest of you,
                     Most of you so called hams have no idea what the
hobby is all about. Most are no more than appliance operators, you buy
it, and manage some how plug it in, and all of a sudden you know
everything, don't you know heathkit was one of the best buys ever. If
your heathkit was unstable or unreliable, it's more than likely the
fault of the builder as much as anyone's. Over the years i have repaired
ham gear for many, many so called hams, i have found resistors with
leads two inches long when one half inch would have been long enough,
and the same for caps and other components. When this happens i'm not
surprised they are unstable. In my shack i have icom, kenwood and other
popular makes of gear, my favorites and the ones i use the most are an
SB 303 and an SB 401, and i can talk to anyone i can hear. I got my ham
and first class radiotelephone tickets in the 60's, when most hams built
everything in there shacks except the receivers, that's what the hobby
is all  about, and providing a public service for the general public. I
find it very hard to believe people will pay thousands of dollars for a
piece of  equipment that will not out perform  my 25 years plus
heathkit. I built these two pieces of equipment and many others, i have
used them for many years, maintained them, they have become old friends,
how can anyone feel like that about something you just took out of a
box, sat it on the table, and turned it on, there's no pride in that.
Get some junk parts, an old handbook from the 60's and build something,
after you do that let me know if you feel any different about the hobby.
I'm sure i will offend someone with this, but that has never been
something a worry about.  I have been a ham and a broadcast engineer,
and station owner for something like 38 years, i'm not very sensitive so
if you take offensive to this let me know, i'm sure i will survive, and
so will you.
                                                                Phil
K8YNG

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov