Watering the horses

Daniel Ruth heathkit at JUNO.COM
Thu Jul 20 23:08:02 EDT 2000

> Free market forces means that people discover the auctioned item on
their own - they are not  PROMPTED
> into finding the item, which is what trolling does.

Geez, I thought it went like this,  "you can lead a horse to water but ya
can't make 'em drink".
Seems like we're sayin' that these dangnab-bed notices are hypnotizing
(prompting) these poor robots into bidding.  Say it ain't so, Ned.

(I can't believe I've entered this thread).  Forgive me brethren . . .

* * * * * * * *
LET ME REDEEM MYSELF!  READ ON -->  Through a random search, a seemingly
single mother has just located my webpage and saw my display of
Heathkits.  She wrote to me about trying to find something buildable for
her son to tackle.  I questioned her about his age and his soldering
ability.  Anybody have any suggestions for me to tell her?   Here is an
example of some youngster who might make a good ham.  And we all know how
much we need to encourage youngsters into our aging hobby.   Maybe one of
those Heathkit Electronic Workshop kits would be appropriate.  Anybody
got one laying around that they don't want?

I've included her last email to me below:
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Hi Danny,

First thank you for answering my e-mail.  I found your address by asking
for keyword heathkit.

My son is 11.  His name is Mike.  I am teaching him how to use a
soldering
iron.  I am not that great at it myself.  I was thinking of something
real
simple.  I remember my brother trying to put together a radio.  He
couldn't
get into it.  I think Mike would really enjoy it.  You have to try and
get these kids interested in good hobbies.

He has never been around a ham radio.  He would love it.  Unfortanatly I
am not made of money.

I was thinking of him building a small radio to start.  I just don't know

where to get such a thing.  Are there other companies that make kits like

that.  Well ones that work and are easy to understand.  If you can think
of anything let me know.

Thanks again,
Mike says Hi
Cathy