Heathkits and Victorian morality

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr at RADIO.ORG
Fri Jul 21 09:26:41 EDT 2000

On 7/20/00 9:37 PM, Chuck W4MIL at CEMILTON at aol.com wrote:

><< Will someone explain to me what the rationale is behind the objection that
>many people have to items for auction being mentioned in newsgroups? >
>To explain this level of thinking would require more time/effort than most
>normal people care to contribute.

That's not true. You have totally mis-characterised my suggestion.

Personally, I find nothing wrong with EBay, and I disagree with those who
don't like it.

I am aware of other collector e-mail lists that have a policy in place to
avoid their lists from being flooded with e-mail advertising auctions
from auction holders wishing to pump up their items. Their policy is to
disallow postings for auctions that are still live. Postings on auction
items that have closed are permitted.

I thought this a sane policy. It still allows discussion of rare or
interesing items that happen to be posted on EBay (and perhaps their
selling prices), but avoids the possibility of auction pump-up postings.

EBay provides excellent tools for locating items of interest, so there
really isn't the problem with finding a Heathkit or other item for sale.
Pointers on the list really only have one purpose while the auction is
active.

I'm not the list owner, and I won't pretend to dictate policy. I decided
to bring the topic up for discussion.

However, the list members appear divided on the issue, so I'll just let
it drop.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov