Seleniun rect..

Gerald C. Lemay wa1vwl at GROLEN.COM
Fri Mar 3 19:03:36 EST 2000

One thing I can't seem to find in my resources is the voltage drop to be
expected from a selenium rectifier. For example, 0.7 volt (some say 0.6
volt) for a silicon rectifier. What is it for selenium?

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]On Behalf Of Bob Meyer
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2000 2:33 PM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Seleniun rect..

You can use 1N4007 diods to replace seleniun recr.
If you need more current use 1N5407 3 amp 1Kv.

I have been replacing seleniun rect. for many years .
You may need a small resistor to drop some voltage.

I have lots of new old selenium and coper-oxied rect.
Most went bad with just age.

After repaaceing check voltage and see if to high.
you could even use a small zenner diode in series to drop voltage but watch
current
and make shuer what watt zenner diode is needed.

you could even replace TUBE rect with 1N4007 diodes and small resistor or
zenner to
keep output voltage to normal level.over voltage can dammange tubes and caps
and
outher parts.

Watch out for this when replacing rect. tube or seleniun.
Seleniun rect. have less V drop than tube and 1N4007 has about .75.
depends on load.Whatch out for this.
Usually selenium rect has a + or red dot or red terminal.
On 1N4007 ETC. the band on one side is + out if AC on outher side.
If a B+ around 400V band on diode will go towards + side of filter cap.
This may be threw choke or resistor.
Just trace your circuit.
You should be able to do this with out a diagram.

To make is easer drow it out on paper.

If your still stuck let us know..

Rascal at Utec.net

Sponsored by the City of Tempe