Looking for a HW-101 guru

Will, Mark mark.will at LSIL.COM
Tue Mar 7 09:36:42 EST 2000

Ed,

I'd like to see you get this rig working again.  Here are some of the things
that I found when bringing my HW-101 back to life.

When you attempt the transmitter alignment procedure, do you get any
indication of BIAS current on the meter? I think it is supposed to be around
45mA.  If not, check the BIAS adjust pot on the right hand side of the xcvr.
If the pot is OK, make sure your power supply is supplying the necessary
BIAS voltage.  I think there is a switch on the power supply that needs to
be
in the correct position for operation with an HW-101.  Make sure that your
power supply's 800V supply is OK.  Also make sure that the top lug of the
RF choke in the final cage is not too close or shorting to the variable
capacitor.  Look for evidence of arcing near this lug and adjust it's
location
to as to gain necessary clearance. Also make sure that the plate spacing
of the Final Tune or Final Plate variable capacitors is sufficient and that
the
plates are not bent, rubbing, or shorting together.

When aligning the 101, you will find that the adjustment of T1 will produce
two RF output peaks.  Make sure you tune for the largest peak, otherwise
you will only be able to get about 20 watts out of you transceiver.

Hope you get your 101 working again soon,

Mark  KB0QIE

Mark C. Will
E-mail: mark.will at LSIL.com
LSI Logic Storage Systems, Inc