If this wasn't so sad, it would be funny ...

Chris Trask ctrask at PRIMENET.COM
Tue Mar 7 09:51:39 EST 2000

        Boy, if anyone wants a supply like that I have 3-4 of the older
ones that I'm intending to repair (new filter caps) and then sell for
far less than that.  If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to part with
them as-is for $25 plus shipping.

        I have an IP-2717 that I bought for a mere $25 at the Scottsdale
hamfest many years ago.  A fellow was walking down one of the aisles
carrying a dirty, beige Heathkit box with a sign that said $25 on it.
I looked at it and remarked that I wish I had seen it.  Turned out he was
walking around trying to sell it and nobody was interested.  The two
controls were frozen and the paint on the shell had gone soft.  I quickly
handed him $25 and did cartwheels to my truck.  With some liquid wrench
I got the controls working and that afternoon I had stripped the softened
paint, then primed and painted the shell.  Turned it on and it worked just
fine.

        I've had to refinish about a half dozen of those beige clamshell
Heathkits.  They got a lousy batch of paint.

Chris

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Chuck W4MIL wrote:

> In a message dated 03/06/2000 11:50:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> fwolsen at EXECPC.COM writes:
>
> << Someone is asking for an OPENING bid of $345 for a Heath IP-2717 power
>  supply (it's the blue new-look version of the A: 6.3/12.6, B: 400, C:
>  100 volt bench supply, from around 1980).
>  And then has the gall to state "No Reserve", and $27 for shipping! >>
>

> One has to wonder who advised this person on setting that price.......  Maybe
> he paid that much for it and is trying to recover his loss..........  Or, he
> knows that P.T. Barnums old words still run true------------
>
> I recently bought two (2) of these for $35.  Nice condition and only needed
> re-capping.  Their shining panels now grace my test bench.  Works FB.
>

> 73 to all de W4MIL
>
> Chuck
>
> Sponsored by the City of Tempe
>
> Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov

     ,----------------------.       High Performance Mixers and
    /    What's all this     \    Amplifiers for RF Communications
   / extinct stuff, anyhow?  /
   \  _______,--------------'           Chris Trask / N7ZWY
  _ |/                                  Principal Engineer
 oo\                                  Sonoran Radio Research
(__)\       _                             P.O. Box 25240
  \  \    .'  `.                     Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
    \  '"        \                     IEEE Member #40274515
      '-| )__| :.  \                 Email: ctrask at primenet.com
        | |  | | \  '.            http://www.primenet.com/~ctrask

                       Graphics by Loek Frederiks

Sponsored by the City of Tempe