Fw: "SB"-Series AM Filter...PART 1

Edward Swynar VE3CUI gswynar at DURHAM.NET
Sun Mar 12 10:51:58 EST 2000

Greetings all!

Like many of you reading this, I'm sure, awhile ago I simply gave up any &
all aspirations of ever finding a reasonably-priced (a.k.a. "cheap"! Hi Hi)
SB-310-style 5-KHz wide AM filter for use in my '301...

Good fortune, however, led me to the electronic doorstep of Jan, N8LQR.
This fact---coupled with the  noble Amateur art of "...tinkering &
experimenting"---inspired me to MAKE MY OWN "cloned" homebrew version of
one of Heath's more rare i.f. filters.

The results, I am most pleased to say, have been wonderfully successful! In
side-by-side tests with two SB-301s---one with the "stock"
communications-quality 3.75-KHz filter, the other with my 5.0-KHz
clone---are obvious: fidelity is much improved with the clone...there is no
"muddiness" in the audio, and I am not inclined to off-set the tuning of
the receiver to improve the response of the highs.

Perhaps best of all, the filter is essentially HOMEBREWED! All you need is
an original "large size" stock Heath SSB filter (similar to those used in
the SB-300 & SB-400), and four crystals. I purchased my new "rocks" from
JAN CRYSTALS in Florida for about $60.00 TOTAL, including shipping---you
may shop around & do even better...

In any event, without further adieu, I am forwarding Jan's original
communications to me on this subject for beneft of all to read. If you'd
rather pay the sixty, or so, bucks & hope that eBay might turn up an
original '310 filter, then go ahead & delete these messages---however,  if
you take pride in rollin' your own,  read on, & invest that $60.00 into
something you & your own two hands can benefit from for years to come!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

--------