Help - Zero Beat

Al Waschka awaschka at PALMNET.NET
Fri Mar 24 10:43:19 EST 2000

You are beating two signals.  They are the incoming signal, reduced to some IF, and the VFO.  Their product is typicall another frequency which is at another IF.  When you tune two audio frequencies close to each other, you hear the sum of the two.  When they are very close to each other, they add and subtract.  If you could adjust them so they are exactly the same frequency and level but 180 deg out of phase, they
would cancel each other and you would hear nothing.

But instead of two frequencies which are both in the same general range, you are beating the incoming signal with a VFO/BFO in a mixer and the product comes out at an IF (which is typically multiplied by a BFO in the product (get it? PRODUCT) detector).  As that product comes into the audio range, you hear a high pitched tone.  As you continue to tune, that tone decreases in frequency until it passes through zero and
goes back up.  This is true in all cases. The thing that makes it sound different is the IF filter.  Set your receiver to USB and tune through the signal, then do the same thing for LSB.  Notice that you are hearing different sides of the same process.  Now, listen VERY carefully on the other side of "zero beat".  You can still hear the signal, it is reduced in volume by the selectivity of the filter.  In receivers with
wider filters you can hear both sides.

Hope this helps.

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov