Help - Zero Beat

James E Temple jetemp01 at ATHENA.LOUISVILLE.EDU
Fri Mar 24 09:58:59 EST 2000

Hello,

Adding to Bob's question, I have had the same thoughts.

Some signals will go from a tone, to silence (zero beat), to the tone
again as the dial is moved in one direction.  With a cal tone, the
sequence seems to be silence, to a tone, to silence as the dial is
moved.  The last example is where I am uncertain where zero beat is, since
there is no silence (null) in the tone between tones.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Sincerely,

Jim
73, KF4ICZ

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Bob Ahrens wrote:

> Group,
>
>     Can someone please explain the idea of zero beating a receiver to a known signal?
>
>     I know what zero beat means when it refers to two audio signals... simply meaning that two signals are at exactly the same freq., eliminating the beating effect. However, I am trying to align an HW-101 and there are constant references to zero beating the receiver to either the calibration signal or a known frequency. Since there is only one signal, say the 3.7 MHz cal signal, how do I zero beat the receiver??
>
> Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
>
> 73
> KC2FYG
> Bob

Sponsored by the City of Tempe