[HeathKit] DX60B power out?

Gary Schafer gschafer at MEDIAONE.NET
Sun Mar 26 17:49:17 EST 2000

Hi Robert

Thanks for the power measurements. Your drake watt meter is exactly the
same as my drake watt meter. I have compared the drake to a bird and it is
right there.

I Get the same out of my DX60 on 10 meters as you do. I have 2 brand new
6CL6s in mine. Using a crystal I can get plenty of grid current. But 30 to
33 watts is all I can coax out on 10 meters. I have tried bypassing the
low pass filter also. That only gains about 3 maybe 4 watts. I tried
different 6146s including a known very good 6146B. Didn't help much at
all. I guess Heath just had a real poor tank circuit design on the higher
bands. It works out to about 35% efficiency on 10 meters! I get 60%
efficiency on a home brew pair of 1625s. Yes the DX60 is running the 90
watts input too!  Well now I know it isn't just my radio.

Thanks
Gary  K4FMX

Robert Weingaertner wrote:

> Gary Schafer wrote:
> >
> >  I am getting about 30
> > watts out.  Is this
> > all you will get out on 10 meters ?
> >

> Here is what my DX-60A puts out:
>
>         Band            Daiwa Wattmeter         Drake Wattmeter
>         80                      70 W                    65 W
>         40                      70                      65
>         20                      60                      55
>         15                      60                      50
>         10                      40                      32
>
> When running on 10 meters with the HG-10 VFO, the transmitter runs
> a little short on drive. With the drive level control at max.,
> I get 1.5 mA of grid current. Drive is higher when using crystal
> control. I don't remember if I have a 6146, 6146A or 6146B, which will
> give more output.
>
>                 73, Bob WB2VUF

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov