need some sb102 magic

mike bryce prosolar at SSSNET.COM
Mon Mar 27 13:43:08 EST 2000

Hola..

I have brought back from the brink of death a sb102.. Everything
works..sorta. here's da poop!

on receive, the signals seem to be distorted. Either usb or lsb. I can't
tell if the CW is distorted. The cal signal does not sound correct either.
this problem in on all bands.

the transmit audio seems to be just fine.

I found that by reducing the rf gain control the distortion clears up.

yes, the avc is working, with no signals the avc line rests at about -1
volt. with strong signals the avc goes up to -5 or so volts. The rf gain
control is also able to move the avc voltage.

this radio has been retubed with nos tubes.

the problem is before the audio stages. I took a external audio amplifier
and picked off the audio before it went to the audio power amplifier. still
screwed up.

I have also replaced the 2.1 khz filter. The two crystals in the carrier
oscillator are  new, too.

so, any ideas? The only other bug this rig has is no grid drive is displayed
on the meter. It transmits ok, but the major problem is the distorted audio
on receive.
--

Mike Bryce, wb8vge
SunLight Energy Systems