New Radio by Elecraft

Robert S. Capon RobCap at AOL.COM
Wed May 17 20:51:16 EDT 2000

Hi Folks:

Just a quick note that Elecraft has announced its second radio kit.  The K1
is a scaled down two-band cousin of the now-famous K2.  You might want to
watch the Elecraft website for details.  I hope to be a field tester of the
kit, and will post several notes, as the kit progresses.

73,

Rob, W3DX

We're pleased to introduce the Elecraft K1 Two-Band HF Transceiver.
Photos and complete details can be found at: http://www.elecraft.com

We will also be showing the K1 at our Dayton Booth #196 later this
week.

The K1 is a two-band, 5-watt CW transceiver kit. It's ideal for
first-time builders, with our modular, "wireless" construction, all
through-hole parts, and comprehensive assembly manual. But its small
size (2.2"H x 5.2"W x 5.7"D), low current drain (under 50 mA), and
wide range of features will appeal to those looking for a miniature,
high-performance travel radio.

Standard features include:

  - large, easy-to-read LCD
  - RIT and XIT (receive and transmit incremental tuning)
  - 10-turn coverage of each CW band (up to 150 kHz)
  - stable, low-noise, analog VFO
  - memory keyer w/auto-repeat; Iambic modes A and B; paddle reverse
  - user-settable sidetone pitch (10-Hz steps) and volume
  - smooth, diode-switched full break-in
  - easy-to-use menu system for customization and calibration
  - switchable AGC and attenuator
  - built in wattmeter, freq. counter, and supply voltage monitor
  - S/RF bar-graph display

Options include: noise blanker, additional 2-band filter boards, and
our unique Ground-Mount Bracket for trail use (see below).

The K1 can be built for your choice of two HF bands, a big advantage
over monoband rigs for either QRP or portable use. The standard
configuration is 40 and 20 meters (*). Combined, these two popular
bands offer day or night operation, and reliable world-wide
communications at home or on the road. They're also the "big two" on
Field Day and for QRP contests.

The lightweight KBR1 ground-mount bracket converts the K1 into a
"trail-friendly" radio, allowing stable operation on rough surfaces
while positioning the front panel at the optimal viewing angle. It can
also be used for desktop or mobile mounting, and packs neatly into a
single 4" x 5.3" unit for travel. (See link above for photos.)

The K1 is styled to match our all-band SSB/CW transceiver, the K2, and
features the same rugged, attractive, textured-finish cabinet. We hope
you'll find the K1 an exciting addition to our product line!

Please refer to our web pages for pricing and availability (
http://www.elecraft.com ), or call 831-662-8345, or send e-mail to
sales at elecraft.com.

(*) Other bands to be announced.

73, Eric (WA6HHQ) and Wayne (N6KR)