Crystals

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr at RADIO.ORG
Wed May 17 21:24:49 EDT 2000

On 5/16/00 10:35 PM, Edward Gardner at egardner at TWCNY.RR.COM wrote:

>Anyone know how to check crystals to see if they are working? I realize
>they probably have to take quite a jolt to STOP working, but I've got one
>that may have come from the factory bad.

Plug them into a crystal oscillator. The ARRL handbook has several simple
circuits for doing this.

I homebrewed up one such circuit, and tested a whole bunch of FT-243-type
crystals I had. Out of the bunch, only 1 wouldn't oscillate, although
several were up to 5 kHz off of their marked frequencies.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov