SB-200 Output

Ed Richards k6uuz at JUNO.COM
Thu Nov 23 14:23:12 EST 2000

Steve;

The question is: are you operating on 120V line? Measure the line voltage
at the terminals of the amplifier while loaded up to max output. If you
have 120VAC you are very lucky and should have rated output. The reason
people use 240VAC is not because it gives more output, but because the
line loss is 1/2 as much. Twice the voltage means 1/2 the current, hence
1/2 the line loss. Good luck.

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:13:56 -0600 Steve
<w9xf at POSTOFFICE.WORLDNET.ATT.NET> writes:
> Could someone offer any suggestions on this one?
>
> I operate my SB-200 on a 120V line source.  I show about 500W out on
> 80,
> 40, 20 & 15 meters; however I can only get about 200W out on 10
> meters.
> I'm using brand new Svetlana 572Bs and 100W of drive from my Kenwood
> 850.
> I use an antenna tuner as well and, in no case do I have an SWR of
> over
> 1.5:1.
>
> I noticed that, on the schematic, someone replaced the input circuit
> capacitors with different values than the original specifications.
> C30 is
> now 590 pf rather than 470 pf; C34 is now 380 pf instead of 200 pf;
> C36 is
> now 36 pf instead of 75 pf and C38 is now 33 pf instead of 68 pf.
> Another
> note by the person who made the changes indicated the amp was
> putting out
> 700W on all bands after these changes.
>
> I was expecting to get around 600-700W out on 80 through 10.  Is
> this an
> unreasonable expectation, given that I'm using 120V?  Also, is or
> was there
> any modification that suggested the above capacitor value changes?
> I don't
> see any other means of tuning the input circuit.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve
> W9XF

> heath 'name' 'call'"