A-9C

Richard Post post at OUVAXA.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Thu Oct 5 12:32:00 EDT 2000

Hi Jacques,

The "power resistor in the heater circuit" is the input resistor to the
high voltage electrolytic cap.  It is 340 ohms.  The markings are likely
burned off since this resistor gets quite hot even at the correct current
draw for the push-pull 6L6GC tubes running class AB1.  I had one that was
about 10 ohms high and replaced it even though it was well within tolerance
(10%).  Replacement was with two separate resistors that added up to the
correct resistance but spread the heat so that the rating was an equivalent
of about 25 watts.  The resistor is important to the filtering circuit.
The chassis metal nearby heats up considerably.  Be careful how and where
you mount this resistor.

I replaced the input caps to the 6L6 grids to assure that the bias was not
affected by cap leakage.  Check the cathode resistor to the 6L6 tubes for
correct value.  You can measure the voltage drop across the cathode
resistor to determine the current draw for the tubes.

Obligatory note:  High voltage in there!

Rich

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov