NCL-2000 Off-Topic:

Joe Cro N3IBX Yardleyite at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 21 21:06:06 EDT 2000

Phil,
     I've never owned one but I'm very familiar with the NCL-2000 amp. It was
one of the better high power desktop amps made and have seen over 1500 watts
out from one of them. They use 2 ea. RCA 8122's. Unfortunately the 8122 is
hard to come by and very expensive - in the neighborhood of $250.00 ea. if
you can find new ones. If possible ask to see the amp operational into a
resonant antenna or dummy load unless you're friends with the current owner.

Svetlana makes the 4CX400 which will really make it sing if a modification is
done to it. The Svetlana tubes are also very expensive. I believe the
NCL-2000 runs around 3 KV on the plate. Do not tune for maximum dip but
rather highest power output regardless of the tubes you use in it. This is
the way my NCX-1000 operates at it's peak.

I own a National NCX-1000 which uses a single 8122 and was able to locate a
NOS spare for under $100.00. I was just lucky. It's possible you may get
lucky too but plan on at least $100-$125 for a good used pull if you need
tubes.

I may be incorrect about this but if you drive it with a solid state rig
please check to see if 120V AC is present on the antenna relay. Otherwise
you'll damage the amp and your radio. If it is I'd recommend a foot switch to
key the amp. If you're using a tube rig like a SB-101, KWM-2 etc. you'll be
ok.

Just a suggestion, the NCL-2000 is like my NCX-1000 insofar as it likes to be
on it's own circut breaker if operated on 120V AC. They run much better that
way.
Overall, it's a fine amp and a real pileup buster!
                                              Best Regards,
                                                            Joe N3IBX

Joseph Cro N3IBX

Collins, Heathkit, Hallicrafters