National

Mike Souhrada wb9iog at REVEALED.NET
Sat Oct 21 23:33:26 EDT 2000

Phil
I bought one at a HF many years ago from an estate sale close out.
It needed a fair amount of work from misuse but looked great under
the dirt. After a full restoration mostly cleaning up, found out the
diodes (2 only) was the weak spot and replaced them  and
reformed the caps which may be unobtanium by now.

The tube always concerned me as they are only available used or
in some junk pile. The new ones I heard are not 2 or 300 but
try about $450 with NO guarantee. Reason is the strong possibility
of over driving the tube grid. On SSB that unit hardly ever even budged
the needle and that's the way it should be at full output. Just
blow at it and it went ballistic. It's a shame tubes are not available
as it's a beautifully designed piece of gear. I especially liked
the delay start up feature. The esthetics are hard to match.
That delay tube BTW may be hard to find if it's bad. Lots of parts that
also may be difficult to replace. None the less If I could find another
at the price I paid (very low) I'd get it. However, I did sell mine
to purchase a L 7 which doesn't have the availability problem on the
finals, and is not as rare.
One more thing it weighs about 85'#s and is worse than a R390A to
lug around!

Mike
Iowa
Bu