MOV's

Bob Meyer Rascal at UTEC.NET
Sat Oct 28 15:06:58 EDT 2000

A MOV will draw very little current on it's own.Mostly can not measure it untill a spike happens.

After a few hits MOV's fail and start drawing current on it's own.
This will TRIP GFIC outlets .If more than 20MA flows from HOT to GROUND.

There is now GFIC outlets with surge suppressors out
in stors now.
I have been using them the past few months.

1 thing about safty is most of us here work on our rigs.
My bench is GFIC outlet .

With transformer rigs you can get ZAPPED on sec. and GFIC will not trip!!
be care full with TUBE rigs!
RF power amps will have HI voltage ,2.5KV or so.
This can KILL you very easy.

Keep outhers away from your rig when testing with covers off.Mostly KIDS!!

Watch for HV caps that hold a charge!!!Doen't count on bleadder resistors that can burn open!!
Keep a meter handy before  tuching them.

73's
Bob Meyer

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov