SB-610 graticule, how to make?

Gerald C. Lemay wa1vwl at GROLEN.COM
Fri Sep 1 18:49:03 EDT 2000

In the process of restoring an SB-610 monitorscope, I had to come up
with a
replacement  graticule. Of course, they're unobtainable, so what to do?
Well, I tried "replicating" one  (hello, Star Trek fans) with 2 pieces
of
software. I used Visio 2000 to make the graticule.  Visio has a stencil
called "Forms - Shapes". In that stencil is a 10 line form which can be
resized and rotated to make a reasonably good, even-spaced graticule
with a
minimal amount of work. Looks just like the  original, with the grid,
major
and minor divisions. I then saved my drawing as a WMF graphic  file for
editing and touch up with Paint Shop Pro. I cropped it to the right size
and
shape and would  be virtually undistinguishable from the original were
it
not for one single thing: I haven't  come up with an acceptable white
print
out. The best I can do is print a slightly yellow, light-colored
graticule.
There's another problem. I'm trying to print this out on a transparency.

What I  found is that transparencies don't have as much color density as

prints on regular paper. It makes  sense that this would be the case.
You
don't want opaque print on something that's supposed  to let some light
come
through. The best prints on transparencies are black in color. That
would
be great for duplicating dials and markings but obviously, that's not
what's
needed  here right now. So the question is how do you print thick enough

white lines on transparencies? Anyone else on the list have any
experience
doing this type of thing? I'm using an HP  Color LaserJet 4500DN with HP

transparencies C-2934A. As Chief Inspector Clouseau would say "I am so
cleuse, I can fell it in my beuns". BTW: Visio has some interesting
stencils
for vacuum tube aficionados. There's diodes, triodes, and pentodes. You
can
have directly or indirectly heated cathodes and you can show or hide the

tube envelope. Unfortunately no pentagrid converter. Other than that, it

would be perfect for drawing neat tube circuit schematics.

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov