SB-610 graticule, how to make?

Chris Trask ctrask at PRIMENET.COM
Fri Sep 1 19:17:44 EDT 2000

Gerald,
        Try taking the original to a graphics shop.  Chances are that
someone there may be able to do it for you.  I've done it with other
overlays and it's a lot easier than trying to do it on my own.

Chris

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Gerald C. Lemay wrote:

> In the process of restoring an SB-610 monitorscope, I had to come up
> with a
> replacement  graticule. Of course, they're unobtainable, so what to do?
> Well, I tried "replicating" one  (hello, Star Trek fans) with 2 pieces
> of
> software. I used Visio 2000 to make the graticule.  Visio has a stencil
> called "Forms - Shapes". In that stencil is a 10 line form which can be
> resized and rotated to make a reasonably good, even-spaced graticule
> with a
> minimal amount of work. Looks just like the  original, with the grid,
> major
> and minor divisions. I then saved my drawing as a WMF graphic  file for
> editing and touch up with Paint Shop Pro. I cropped it to the right size
> and
> shape and would  be virtually undistinguishable from the original were
> it
> not for one single thing: I haven't  come up with an acceptable white
> print
> out. The best I can do is print a slightly yellow, light-colored
> graticule.
> There's another problem. I'm trying to print this out on a transparency.
>
> What I  found is that transparencies don't have as much color density as
>
> prints on regular paper. It makes  sense that this would be the case.
> You
> don't want opaque print on something that's supposed  to let some light
> come
> through. The best prints on transparencies are black in color. That
> would
> be great for duplicating dials and markings but obviously, that's not
> what's
> needed  here right now. So the question is how do you print thick enough
>
> white lines on transparencies? Anyone else on the list have any
> experience
> doing this type of thing? I'm using an HP  Color LaserJet 4500DN with HP
>
> transparencies C-2934A. As Chief Inspector Clouseau would say "I am so
> cleuse, I can fell it in my beuns". BTW: Visio has some interesting
> stencils
> for vacuum tube aficionados. There's diodes, triodes, and pentodes. You
> can
> have directly or indirectly heated cathodes and you can show or hide the
>
> tube envelope. Unfortunately no pentagrid converter. Other than that, it
>
> would be perfect for drawing neat tube circuit schematics.

     ,----------------------.       High Performance Mixers and
    /    What's all this     \    Amplifiers for RF Communications
   / extinct stuff, anyhow?  /
   \  _______,--------------'           Chris Trask / N7ZWY
  _ |/                                  Principal Engineer
 oo\                                  Sonoran Radio Research
(__)\       _                             P.O. Box 25240
  \  \    .'  `.                     Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
    \  '"        \                     IEEE Member #40274515
      '-| )__| :.  \                 Email: ctrask at primenet.com
        | |  | | \  '.            http://www.primenet.com/~ctrask

                       Graphics by Loek Frederiks

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov