SB100,101 6hs6 sub and capacitors to correct "Miller" effect

Stu Lyon slyon at PACIFICNET.NET
Fri Sep 15 20:43:53 EDT 2000

Hi Ed,
The Miller Effect is the effective capacitor formed by the feedback of the
signal on the plate through Cgp to the grid. It shows up like a capacitor
from the grid to ground and is expressed as Cgp x voltage gain (which is
another long equation). Since the 6CL6 and 6HS6 are connected in parallel
but operate separately (one or the other), the Miller capacitor and
therefore the tuning is going to differant between rx & tx. Apparently that
differance is 3.3 pf.  [Cgp=grid1-to-plate cap.]

Since to Miller capacitor is a function of gain, it will vary with AGC
voltage thus tuning (detuning?) the circuit as the signal level changes.
Using the strong crystal calibrator as a signal source for tuning may not
give optimum weak signal performance (!!).

In the 70's, QST had a H&K for a circuit (that I have installed in my
SB-101) that uses a variable capacitor instead of the fixed 3.3 pf.
Otherwise it operates the same as the Heathkit circuit. I agree with your
circuit analysis.

73, Stu W6CUX
Winnetka, CA
ARRL Life Member