MR-1 dial experiment.

Gary Harmon gharmon at IDWORLD.NET
Sat Sep 16 18:52:54 EDT 2000

Good work Gerald.

I wonder if the material used to laminate pictures, etc., would work?  You
would have to make the dial a little smaller then the plastic to provide
area for the laminate to stick.  A normal plastics store should have the
tubing.  What thickness would be appropriate?  So many questions, not many
answers yet.

BTW, how big is the final TIF file of the dial?

Thanks,

==============
Gary H. Harmon, Jr.
K5JWK
6302 Robin Forest
San Antonio, TX  78239-3218
(210) 657-1549
=====================

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]On Behalf Of Gerald C. Lemay
Sent: Saturday, September 16, 2000 5:30 PM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: MR-1 dial experiment.

Acquired a Heathkit MR-1 receiver parts radio last year. Wanted to use
the dial drum for my HR-20 because white is a better, more visible color
for a dial than black. They're basically the same receiver, so that
would work. Well the MR-1 dial is (you guessed it) cracked, and the 80
meter calibration numerals are very light and appear not to have been
right from day one. So, in a desparate act of insanity, I deceided to
try and make one. Put the drum in a page scanner and scanned each band
to get the reference calibration points. Saved each band scan as a TIF
image and imported each band in Visio 2000. I then copied or duplicated
each band calibration marking to match the dial. Printed the final
results on a transparency. To make a long story short, it took me about
a week's worth of lunch free time to get it just right. The band dial
markings are spaced properly and looks pretty good. So now, what? I know
I'll have to locate 1.5 inch diameter tubing to start. Then what about
the adhesive to "stick" the transparency to the drum? What stuff could I
use that won't melt everything. I've thought about just gluing the
beginning and end of the roll. Then there's the problem of rolling the
transparency. I've thought about gently and repeatedly rolling it off
the edge of my desk until it curls enough. Then again I've also thought
about putting the transparency rolled up in a metal tube and applying
heat to the assembly. Not too much heat that it melts but enough so that
when cooled, it maintains shape as a roll. I might have to experiment
with a few printouts just to find out how much heat is too much. Does
anyone on the list have any thoughts or comments, either good or bad, on
the direction I should take before the men in white come and take me
away?

'name' 'call'"
Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov