MR-1 dial experiment.

Chuck W4MIL CEMILTON at AOL.COM
Sat Sep 16 19:20:54 EDT 2000

In a message dated 09/16/2000 6:38:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wa1vwl at GROLEN.COM writes:

<<  Printed the final
 results on a transparency. To make a long story short, it took me about
 a week's worth of lunch free time to get it just right. The band dial
 markings are spaced properly and looks pretty good. So now, what? I know
 I'll have to locate 1.5 inch diameter tubing to start. Then what about
 the adhesive to "stick" the transparency to the drum? What stuff could I
 use that won't melt everything. I've thought about just gluing the
 beginning and end of the roll. Then there's the problem of rolling the
 transparency >>

Gerald,

A suggestion here!   There is a transparency material commonly called
"sticky-back" that is used in the surveying, civil engineering field.  You
can put that stuff in a copy machine, transfer an image to it,
and--------peel off the backing and apply it to another surface.  I don't
recall the "trade" name for it, but if you go to a blueprint operation where
drafting supplies are sold they will know what you are referring to.

I have used this material to create metal tags for military radios.  I would
cut the aluminum to the proper tag size, polish it to a high sheen, then
apply the copied image via "sticky-back"............  When done correctly, it
looks like the print has been applied directly.

I'm interested in ur success with this as there are many Heath "drums" out
there that are cracked.  My MT-1 and MR-1 for starters.  I just do not have a
way to copy the original dial scales via a scanner.

Try it.  You will be pleasantly surprised.

73 de W4MIL
Chuck

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov