Cleaning old rigs

Vic Tosca tosca at FRONTIERNET.NET
Wed Sep 27 17:09:23 EDT 2000

> Mark Johnson/Ontario/IBM wrote:
> >
> > Alan et el..
> > Regarding your note on cleaning rigs....Last week I did the unthinkable...I
> > put an SB-101 I have into the dishwasher.
> >

> Hi Mark,
> That is exactly what I do. I always remove the front panel and clean the
> panel, dials and knobs by hand. Just did a Hallicrafters SX-28A and it
> turned out ok. Also removed panel, dials, meter and knobs. Did ti to my
> SB-101 also. After a panel from Lynn , it turned out a 10. Luck and 73.
> Wayne;
> W4GBW

I'm lucky enough to have a shop that someone put a stall shower
in. I got a restaurant type stainless steel table, and stuck it
in there, and got one of those water-pik hand-held power-shower
thingies.

Strip a rig, pop it on the table, set the shower head to
"massage", fire up the water and WHAM! the rig is clean in 10
minutes! Turn it on its side, and put one of those little Pelouze
ceramic furnaces pointing toward it, at about 75 degrees, let it
run overnight, and tune the puppy up in the morning.

I also so the same deal wrapping up the IF cans so they don't get
soaked- found out that if H2O gets in there, there's a good
chance of freezing up the slugs, and usually the water doesn't
dry out inside there so quickly, causing de-tuning. A piece of
Saran Wrap and putting a empty prescription bottle over them
works pretty well.

Also, if there's any labels on the chassis, I clean around them,
and stick some clear packaging tape over them before the wash.
Can't take the tape off afterwards, but it's my method of
"preserving the integrity"...

I wish they had the water-pik showers back in the 50-60's- I used
the garden hose back then...

=vt
--
ßase ELECTRONICUS!  ®1976 TE Inc.