T-shirts vs Polo Shirts

Michael Melland w9wis at CHARTER.NET
Sat Aug 4 12:04:49 EDT 2001

Hi Guys,

Embroidered shirts are a "high class" way to go.  My XYL and I own a custom
embroidery business in addition to our regular jobs.  Most of our customers
are emergency service agencies like fire, law and ems but we also do custom
shirts for amateur radio operators with key, ares and arrl logo's.  We are
also the official supplier of Elecraft shirts.

Digitizing fees for the program necessary to embroider logos can be
expensive if for a small run unless we can create it in-house.  I've seen a
number of T-shirts screen printed with logo's like Heath, Hallicrafters,
National etc.... and they do look pretty nice.  I would be happy to digitize
the Heatkit logo (s) and sell shirts to those interested in high end
apparel.... but I worry about copywrite problems.  Someone must still hold
the license on these logo's and I don't feel like loosing my house and
business to sell a few logo shirts.  Just try putting a NFL, NASCAR or
company logo on a shirt without the purchase of a license or written
permission from the license holder and you'll find out fast how serious this
can get.  BTW we do have permission/letters of agreement with the companies
we reproduce logo's for.

We sell embroidered t-shirts but the vast majority of shirts we sell are
polo/golf shirts, sweatchirts, jackets and especially now jean shirts.  If
you guys are serious about looking for this type of apparel I'll research
the license issues and digitize a Heathkit logo and offer them for sale.
They wouldn't be available for several weeks and we can only do these "per
piece" orders as ourproduction schedule allows.... no money to be made in
piece work for single orders but being a ham I'd just do it.

I don't want to push into Marty's nitch on this list so if he can or wants
to do embroidered stuff I won't procede here.

I project polo shirts would cost $27.35, jean shirts $32.35 and sweat shirts
$32.35 including a fully embroidered logo, your call sign if wanted and
Priority Mail shipping.

See samples of our work on the Elecraft Shirt Page (or look for the link on
the Elecraft site):
http://webpages.charter.net/w9wis/sodivine/Elecraft_Shirts.html
others:
http://webpages.charter.net/w9wis/sodivine/rarrlpolo2.jpg