HR-10 - HW-16 repair

Larry Knapp kc8jx at YAHOO.COM
Fri Aug 10 09:45:24 EDT 2001

Thomas - Replacing the electrolytics in the HW-16 with the same value would be
certainly OK...I was of the school of thought that perhaps increasing the
capacitance would allow for better regulation, less hum...etc.  Always believed
that and did that in my receivers and transmitters.  Within the past few months
Electric Radio has had a great series of articles about repair of receivers
(four part series) - transmitter series is upcoming.  One thing that was
discussed was power supply capacitance in receivers.  Since I do not have the
article here at work, but I believe the author said that one should replace the
capaitors with the same value as the rest of the electronics is expecting that
kind of regulation voltage...etc.  A larger capacitor could damage the rest of
the circuits.  Obviously sometimes one cannot find the "exact" replacement but
something close enough (I personally would go slightly higher) should be OK.

Good luck.  Larry, KC8JX  St. Joseph, Mi

--- Thomas Beltran <tbeltran at EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:
 Tom W6EIJ

> P.S.   On another note, the electrolytics are leaking on the HW-16.  I was
> thinking that it might be better to use replacements with a higher
> capacitance - any ideas how much I could increase the values?

=====
May your days be full of sunshine and good thoughts fill your head.
From: Larry Knapp, KC8JX, St. Joseph, Mi  49085
  Best 73's

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/