Oscilloscopes

James True N5ARW n5arw at AUTOMATION-WORKS.COM
Fri Dec 14 10:56:42 EST 2001

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 03:00:50 -0800, Lynn Baustian wrote:

>  Please forgive me for a bit more bandwidth reguarding the subject matter
>but I must have stated my quiery somewhat wrong.  What I would like to know
>directly is:
>
>        #1.  What is the approx MHZ (speed ?) of a PS-943 Vu-Data scope ?

To get an estimate of the bandwidth, look at the fastest sweep speed of
the horizontal time base.  The speed is expressed in time/division.  A  general
rule of thumb, 1us (microseconds)  is a 1Mhz scope,  .5us=5Mhz, .2us=10Mhz
.1us = 20Mhz, and so on.  This is only an approximation but it will give you a
good idea.  The other way to find out is to us a signal generator with a fairly
constant output when changing frequency and bands and just see what the
maximum usable frequency is at the fastest sweep speed.  Just see how high
 you can go before the vertical gain starts to fall off or the waves are too close
together to be useful.  This will give you a useable bandwidth for your purposes.
For general radio testing and repair, you will be using the scope to get a
representation of the signal rather than making accurate measurements.  If
you want to use it for digital signals, then other factors come into play.

>        #2.  Where can I find a manual ?

Try http://www.manualsplus.com/  They have a number of Vu-Data manuals,
though they don't list a 943 in the online search, it would be worth a phone
call.

73
James True N5ARW
in beautiful Hot Springs National Park, AR
http://www.boatanchor.com