HW-16 station improvements / modifications

J. Werner, W8QA W8QA at AOL.COM
Sat Feb 3 12:36:22 EST 2001

Fellow Greenies:

Does anyone out there have access to "Ham Radio" magazine indexes?  I'm
looking for modifications intended to eliminate key-clicks and add a
calibration control to the HW-16.  The March, 1973 issue of "Ham Radio" was
purported to contain those mods, but my collection doesn't go back that far.

The HW-16 I'm restoring is nearly done, and I'd like to incorporate a couple
of simple improvements in it before I put it back on the air.  (I'm sure I
can find a way to pull these off without drilling any holes.)  I got a
warning from an O.O. when I was a Novice -- he'd heard my key-clicks way
below my 15 meter signal.  As an Extra Class op, I'd like to make sure that
that memory isn't relived.

Please let me know if any of you have done any other simple mods to the
HW-16.  I'll gladly consider any that are in keeping with the rig's
minimalist spirit, particularly if they don't involve drillng holes.

Thanks again for your help!

Very 73,

John, W8QA

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov