HW-101 help!

Needham R Williamson Jr Williamsonr at PBTCOMM.NET
Thu Feb 8 20:33:36 EST 2001

OK Heath gang I need from you to Bail me out!  I just finished putting an
HW-101 back on the air.  Fabricated steal "Comb" brackets and replaced a
bad neutralizing cap.  Tx and RX is great now.  Have one problem left.  I
have had the same problem before with an SB-101 and never got it fixed on
that rig as well.  So I surmize it's a common problem.  Here goes - I get
no ALC indication when in SSB transmit mode.  In fact the meter starts out
negative once the mic is key'd.  (The manual states that it's ok for a
negative reading) I looked at the ALC line and it swings about a half volt
negative on voice peaks.  Changed the ACL rectifier diodes, the 1 meg grid
resistor that ties the ALC line to the buffer amp, but still no ALC
indication.  I found a Service note which suggested to add a 2K res from
the center of the zero set pot to pin one of Relay 1.  This pulls the
negative side of the meter to groung via the 2 k res on transmit.  This
does yield slight ALC on voice peaks but the mic gain is wide open and
nothing near the S3-S6 range.

OK who has figured this out and can Bail me out?

Thanks
Rodger
N4NRW

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov