An update on the 6146 tube

Larry Knapp kc8jx at YAHOO.COM
Thu Feb 8 21:53:36 EST 2001

Chris, W7JPG, inquired about 6146's.  Some of the responses were not entirely
accurate.  So I submit the following synopsis of many emails copied from the
archives (late 1998 to early 1999) of the listserve.  I will not get into which
are the ones to buy,  whom to buy from,  which specific types will work best in
your specific transmitter,  nor what prices one can expect.  That will be left
up to you.  This is to hopefully provide an update to those just joining in
tube resurgence.

The following is the development sequence:
6146   Original Design
6146W  Ruggedized version of the original
6146A  Improved basic 6146
6146B  Final improvement

The 6146B "appears" to be designed specifically for SSB service.  The 6146B's
have a higher plate dissipation than do the 6146 or 6146A and also there are
filament current differences.  There are more differences between the
6146/6146A and the 6146B and are illustrated the vacuum-tube data contained in
the back of the ARRL Handbook.  With appropriate research and noting the
variations, it may explain why neutralization is not the same and why some
types will work better for SSB or AM service when using different tube types.

A tube substitution guide reveals that there are several commercial tubes that
can replace the individual 6146 tubes.  This is not meant to be all-inclusive:

6146, 6146A, 6146B  -   8298A, 8192A

I am not sure if 8298's and 8192's come in B or W versions.

An important thing to remember, regardless of which variation you use, is to
ALWAYS use two (or more in the case of the Johnson Valiant) of the SAME
variation.  This can give you real headaches if you mix model variations.

I hope I have helped clarify some of the issues.

Best 73, Larry (KC8JX)

=====
May your days be full of sunshine and good thoughts fill your head.
From: Larry Knapp, KC8JX, St. Joseph, Mi  49085
  Best 73's