Unbuilt Kit Mania

Brian Carling bcarling at CFL.RR.COM
Sun Feb 11 17:46:30 EST 2001

On 11 Feb 2001, at 11:16, KD2E wrote:

> a company making tube-type tranmitter (not sure of receiver)
> but
> they are built on cake tins on something. Who would want that in there
> shack??

David, a lot of us enjoy experimenting with such rigs. Apparently you have not heard
of the GLOWBUGS e-mail list which has hundreds of guys on it who enjoy
building tube rigs on everything from breadboards, to cake pans and aluminum
chasses to mailboxes!

Many hams built their first transmitter on a cake tin. The power supply to my first
receiver was homebrewed by me on a cake tin and I was darn proud of it in my
shack... thank you!

You can buy an unbuilt kit, but you can't buy the ability to design and build from the
junque box... a pleasure enjoyed by fewer hams these days, but a pleasure
nonetheless!

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov