UPS Warning

Sandy ebjr at I-55.COM
Wed Feb 21 16:16:56 EST 2001

> However, when I tried to use "MailBox", I felt like I was going through
an inquisition. I
> picked up my package and left.
>
> Harold

I must rebutt....
        I have had two encounters with "Mailboxes, Etc." or whatever their
"proper"
name is.  One receiver, an SX-71, which they packed VERY, VERY poorly
was slightly damaged (one knob skirt was bent flat!)  It is remarkable that
the receiver made it in as good a shape as it did!  "Packing" consisted of
a tiny bit of crushed newspaper and a piece of cardboard!  The "second"
encounter was similar.  At the prices they charge, the packing should be
professionally done and supurb!
        I have packed with "styrofoam" peanuts for years, and actual
popped popcorn before that.  I used popcorn only in plastic or metal
canisters.  Although it is as good as styrofoam, it WILL attract rodents
and other hungry animals lurking at a dirty warehouse!  The SECRET to using
the "peanuts" is:
        1.) Use folded cardboard or bnlock foam "spacers" to keep the
shipped item in the center of the carton.
        2.) Pack the "peanuts" in TIGHT.  If you don't have a bit of trouble
getting the box top folded flat and sealed, you probably haven't
packed the "peanuts"  Tight enough!  If you leave them "loose", they
will settle and compact in transit leaving "voids".
        3.) Front panels or equipment should be padded with solid sheet
styrofoam or bubblewrap layers.  Additionally, cut a piece of 1/4 or 3/8"
plywood the same size as the carton side the panel faces, and place it
between
the "pad" mentioned above and the carton side.  That will fend off
(at least partially) fork left forks, hand truck platforms, etc. from
damaging
your treasure if the carton side is penetrated.

        I have had NO trouble with the UPS terminal's "Customer Counter"
when I shipped a lot of stuff in the New Orleans area (Harahan Terminal).
I tried the "private agent" UPS pickup points and found them uncaring
and much more expensive.  (Their "markup", no doubt.)  Plus they
charge much extra for packing....poorly.

        If you MUST use a third party packer, watch him pack up the
item yourself!  Don't drop the item off and expect it to be packed
properly!  If he won't pack it in front of you, find another agent!

        In the area I'm in now (Hammond, LA.) I use USPS
Priority Mail almost 100% now.  Priority mail seems reliable,
and prompt (so far!).  I have lost only ONE parcel in 6 years
and they promptly paid me for it plus the postal costs!

        My 2 cents worth.

73,
Sandy Blaize, W5TVW